This well-kept (and loved!) for-sale-by-owner home is right outside of Laramie, Wyoming, with easy access to the university, airport, and town amenities. Originally built by a local contractor as his forever home, it is now being cared for by a new owner. The house was designed to blend in with the neighborhood style but the thick walls and deep window ledges give it away to those who know about straw bale construction!
As retired ranchers and University staff, they have applied their cultivation skills to add 33 trees, outside irrigation, and landscaping to nourish the 10 acres for years to come. They love their energy-efficient home, but it is time for the acreage to welcome in new caretakers.
One of the features they have enjoyed the most is the views of the Snowy Range Mountain and wildlife watching from the south-facing sunroom (currently, there are 2 sets of twin Antelope babies in the area!) And, although Wyoming has its fair share of exciting weather events, they were always comfortable as the energy efficiency of the home moderates each temperature swing and provides a quiet interior space to relax in.
It is the kind of property that has their friends and family asking them how they could ever be thinking of selling it but they are confident in their choice to downsize once again and look forward to seeing a new owner settle into this comfortable home that has held their hearts.
Custom Finish & Home Details
- Inside and outside, this 3 Bedroom/2.5 Bathroom home and property has a feel of spaciousness. Many of the rooms include vaulted ceilings with softened corners and custom built-in oak shelving.
- The large kitchen opens to the cathedral ceiling living room and a central bar that seats eight with ease.
- The Master Suite bathroom includes a large walk-in shower with two shower heads, a bench and steam shower features, a walk-in closet, a Spa Tub, and his & hers sinks and vanities.
- The Master Suite Bedroom has a set of sliding glass doors lead directly to the outdoor patio facing southeast and a gas stove adds to the cozy feel.
- 2 Guest Bedrooms share a full bathroom with a walk-in shower that is on its own hot water heater.
- The formal dining room has more than enough room for family meals.
- A handy mudroom is just inside the garage/shop door with coat hooks and storage under the built-in bench.
- Foundation – Poured concrete with a full 42” high crawl space that is sealed, dry, well-lit, and has no history of water damage.
- RO (reverse osmosis) water system included.
- The original owner was a contractor who built it in 2008 as his forever home (completed in 2009.) The contractor built with traditional framing on the outside and inside walls with straw bales in between for excellent insulation. The exterior is stucco, leaving the home very tight and super-efficient. This was the third home he built in this manner.
- New stainless steel appliances were added 5 years ago, including a washer, dryer, and refrigerator.
- Flooring includes wood, tile, and carpet.
- Shingle Roof – The attic has 10”- 15” of blown in insulation.
Additional Structures Include:
- Large Pole Barn has oversize doors for an RV, 50 amp electrical service, and storage.
- The attached 3-car garage/shop is finished and insulated, similar to the rest of the straw bale home.
Property Features Include:
- 10 acres, zoned residential
- The well is sufficient to serve both the landscaping and house needs.
- The front yard lawn and tree area are well groomed and attractive, with sprinkler systems and bubblers on each tree and throughout the lawn.
- All around the house is a short, attractive concrete stucco wall that matches the finish of the home.
- Septic is in good working condition.
Energy Efficiency Features & Highlights:
- Utility bills are consistently very low, with even the hottest days still seeing the indoor temperatures at 10-15 degrees cooler than outdoors.
- Both electric and gas are grid-provided utilities.
- The thick walls and attic insulation provide for a very quiet indoor space, even during storms.
- Double pane windows are installed throughout the home.
- Heating – A natural gas fireplace is the primary source of heat. There are also small (rarely-used) wall-mounted electric heaters in the bedrooms.